Capsule progression

Even though my depression has been hitting me very hard lately, I’ve managed to make progress with my sewing and knitting.

Capsule Sewing:

I finished the olive green Grainline Studio Linden Sweatshirt I had written about last week. I can definitely see myself living in this one all fall and winter.

img_5739.jpg

The fabric is a Hatchi Sweater Knit from Fabric.com in the color “sea weed”. This fabric is super soft and snuggly, but it’s also lightweight. So it’ll be warm enough for fall, but I’ll probably need to layer it with a cardigan for around the house in the winter . I bought quite a few different colors of this Hatchi Sweater Knit last winter, so I’ll be working on using it this fall and winter for my capsule sewing.
img_5743.jpg

I used the Grainline Linden sweatshirt, which has quickly become a favorite pattern of mine. It’s so simple and well drafted, but it’s also very versatile and hack-able (as you’ve seen with my other Linden variations: the split hem, banded short sleeves, etc.)

img_5745.jpg

As with my first and second version, I cut the size 0 and graded up to a size 4 in the hips. I also added a bit of length to the body (maybe 2-3 inches?) and I curved the hem, which is definitely my preference for shirt hems! Instead of turning the hem up and top stitching it in place, I created a band/binding. I really like how clean this looks and it helps the hem lay flat and not flip up like just hemming curved hems usually do. Other than those little changes, I did nothing different than what’s in the pattern.

 

img_5741

Other Sewing:

I finished a few new things for the shop and have some plans for other thing to add. I made another style of matching panties to make a set with a bra I’d made a little bit ago. I also made a sheer black mesh crop top for the shop and have a white one cut out and ready to sew.

I’ve been working on a pair of slipped for my sister’s birthday. I have them mostly finished, I just need to do some hand sewing to finish them off. They have a removable heating insert, made from cotton and filled with rice so it can be popped in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and then popped into the slippers to keep her feet warm. The slippers are made from quilting cotton scraps and flannel scraps. I’m thinking of making other sizes of this and adding variations to the shop. Probably without the heat insert, at least until I can find a better way to do that. But for a prototype version of these, I think they’re coming along great.

img_5700

Capsule Knitting:

I finally managed to finish that sweater I started back in February. I made it short sleeved, since it is a thinner/lighter weight sweater. I used the Pretty Mallory pattern (which is free and available on ravelry). I changed the sleeve design a little bit, when I picked up the sleeve stitches and started knitting the pattern, I started tapering the design so that it ended in a point rather than being a full panel on the top of sleeves all the way down.

But for my first real sweater for myself, I think I did a darn good job. I’m not a huge fan of how high the neck it, so for my next sweater I will probably be doing short rows or something to help make the neck lower. I also wish I’d made it an inch or two longer, but it’ll work fine as is. My next sweater will also be made with thicker yarn… This one was out of a light fingering weight yarn… So I plan on working up a few worsted or DK weight sweaters next. 

How has your week been? Has the change in seasons made your sewing mojo amp up, or has it fizzled out a bit? Personally, I love fall and so I’m very excited to be making things to wear for my favorite season.

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Capsule progression”

    1. Thank you! I actually used the neckband as a template. The bottom hem for both front and back, with the added curve, were wide enough for the largest length of the neckband, so I cut two of those. I applied the band to the bottom hems before sewing the side seams, and stitched it on like I would for the neckband, just flat instead of in the round, and then topstitched in place with seam allowance up towards the body. It was a lot simpler than I was thinking it was going to be!

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s